Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer - Book Review!



Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer. This is the prequel to last month's Booksplosion book of the month, which is Off the Page. This story is about Delilah, an social outcast at her school, who becomes quite attached to a fairy tale. Only its not an ordinary fairy tale. The characters are very much alive, and one is fed up with his scripted life. What happens when the prince wants a life out of the book? Let's find out! Onto the review!

I'll start with saying that the cover is a little misleading. The cover feels likes its more toward an older young adult vibe, but I would say that this book is more for 13-16 age group. That's not to say that I couldn't engage with the book. I could connect with the characters and their actions, but it wasn't as complex as some of the other books that I've read.

This book is a little cheesy, but I happen to love a cheesy book. There's something satisfying with a book that gives you what you want with a satisfying ending. Characters do off the wall things that normally wouldn't happen, and coincidences slide into place. It's a bit of a easy read, but if you're by the pool, enjoying the sun, this is exactly the type of book you would like.

Delilah is one half of the book's protagonists. She's an awkward girl in the "real" world who is looking for a happy ending. And as anyone who is obsessed with reading as much as the rest of us, we can definitely understand her. Her motives are pure and genuine. She has her own issues, and she retreats into a story for a little bit of happiness in her life. As a character though, I thought she could've had more depth. I wanted to see her excel at something, but the reader just shes her being awkward and weird.

Then there's Oliver. I found myself more excited to read his part of the story than the events happening in the "real" world. Both his fairy tale and his other life were so interesting, and it was something I had never seen before. He had his play persona, which was so witty, and then there was his persona for when the book was closed. It's like fan fiction on steroids. The story is more than what it seems, and I just found Oliver so much more compelling than Delilah. Maybe that will change when I read the next book.

Once last thing I would say about this book is that if you are planning on getting it, I think that the paperback version is preferable to the kindle version. There are many illustrations, and they don't tend to translate well to your Kindle, especially with all the fine line work. If you really want to enjoy that part of the story, I would suggest the paperback. But if you don't, the story is still quite good with the sub-par versions.

So if you're looking for a quick read with a unique twist, I would definitely recommend this book. But after everything is said and done, I'm giving this book three and a half frogs out of five.



That's it for this post! Comment down below with your favorite poolside reads. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ Button off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for up to date information on the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog, which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018