Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs - Book Review!



Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs, the third book in the Peculiar Series. This book pick up where Hollow City left off. Jacob has just realized that his peculiar power can extend to beyond seeing hollows, he can control them as well. With his new found power, he, Emma, and Addison are off again to rescue their friends and their ymbrynes. But enough about that, let's get onto the review!

So, I have to come out and say it. I. Love. This. Book. It has everything that I want in a book that concludes a series. It connected back to the first book in several ways. There is a lot of character development in both the major and minor characters. There were still surprises that I wasn't expecting. It was just done so well, and I found myself unable to sleep until I finished it or passed out from emotional exhaustion.

Let's talk about some of the good stuff. There were moments in the book where I felt like that Riggs was really speaking to me. Or the reader. Not me personally. That would be a little weird. Right? Anyway, there's a part of the book in which stories are mentioned. We started with Jacob's grandfather telling Jacob a story about his home that was protected by a bird with a pipe. Then we had a book of tales that was actually based on different time loops. Then we have the story featured in this novel. I won't give anything away, but the title should give you an idea. I just thought that it was wonderful having stories that impacted the character because they in turn impacted me.

There was also a moment where Jacob could have taken the easy way out. He calls it "cheating" in the book, and it would have changed how the story played out. But when he mentioned it, I thought about how authors make it convenient for their characters to find a solution to their problems. Some readers would call that cheating, and having it mentioned in the book kind of breaks the fourth wall a little bit. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I still found it awesome.

I like all of the creepy elements that were depicted, which is surprising because I've never been one for gore, creepy, or scary elements in books. Suspense I'm usually okay with. Everything else is almost too much for me. But in the book, and this series, everything felt approachable, which is a little weird when it comes to scary stuff. It's just when I read some of the more creepy scenes, I felt invigorated and not terrified.

This novel is also a good example of a crossover book. It's marketed towards a younger audiences, but adults like me can still find it interesting and enjoyable. There are little nuances like politics and patriarchy and familial responsibility vs apathy. The book takes on a lot of societal issues that you wouldn't expect, and the good guys aren't always represented as a almighty, incorruptible source of good.

So yes, there are a lot of good things that I could say about this novel, but then this would be a blog novel and not a blog post. With everything said and done, I'm giving this novel five pairs of owl wings out of five.


That's it for this post! Comment down below with your favorite book series that had a really great conclusion. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ Button on you right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for up to date information on the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018