Beastly Bones by William Ritter - Book Review!



Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review Beastly Bones by William Ritter. This is the second book of the Jackaby series, and with the ending of this book, we're sure to have more to come! Abigail Rook and R. F. Jackaby are on the case again! We have a dinosaur bone thief, dead bodies drained of blood, and a paranormal creature that turns into whatever it eats! Oh my! How are Rook and Jackaby going to solve this curious puzzle? Well, enough about that. Let's get onto the review!

So when I read the summary for this book, I was a bit hesitant. I felt like none of the mysteries fit together, and I was concerned that this novel was going to be a series of mini-cases rather than a complex story. Don't worry! That's not the case! Everything fit together nicely, if not in a surprising way.

Let's talk about the mystery. In mystery novels, there should be some level of suspense and a want to find out who-dun-it. For me, there was plenty of that within the book. There were parts were I definitely had an inkling as to what was happening or why, but (and more importantly in my opinion) I found myself surprised by some of the reveals (and a little upset that I didn't figure it out quicker).

Another aspect that I appreciated was that while it was a monster-of-the-week kind of book, it still added to the overall series's plot. It gave me a look as to what the bigger bad might be in the up coming books. It was a pretty smart move. That way readers can reread this story for the fun element without having to read the entire series over, but as readers, we can still be affected by the overall plot of the entire series.

Speaking of fun element, this book was very charming in its humor. You have the kooky but charming Jackaby, who talks without tact, but he still manages to deliver an important message that sounds thoughtful. You have Abigail Rook who is struggling with emotions like love and friendship but still wants to keep her independence and a sense of adventure, which is common with female characters in books. Authors end up leaning too much one way or another. I think that it was done very well within the novel. I just hope that Abigail manages to keep up her positivity through the upcoming books.

We also get to see Charlie the police officer/werehound in this book, which I was supper happy about. He was just so interesting in the first novel, and I was sad to see him go. But it looks like we'll be seeing a bit more of him in the future, which is fine by me.

One aspect of the novel that I didn't appreciate was the repetitive backstory. Some backstory is fine, and sometimes necessary, for the second novel in a series. However, I must have read Charlie's backstory at least four different times throughout the novel. That's not really necessary or helpful.

Overall, I found Beastly Bones a charming and quick read. So, I'm giving this book four penny whistles out of five.



That's all for this review! Comment down below with some of your favorite quick reads! Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ Button on you right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for up to date information on the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018