On the Road by Jack Kerouac: Book Review School Edition!



Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review On the Road by Jack Kerouac. The story takes place in the 40s and 50s and follows Sal Paradise who has a fascination with Dean Moriarty, a con man in search of something more. This search leads them across the country on strange and unique adventures. But enough about that. Let's get onto the review!

So this novel was supposedly written all in a week and as much in one sitting as possible, and, to be honest, it feels like it. There's a lot of overly descriptive passages and a lot of jumping around. It felt a little scattered for me. For that reason, it was a little hard to get through.

It also follow a "beat" philosophy. There's a constant search for something more. There's the idea that becoming "square" would be the death of you. Then there's the idea of mysticism and that there is something different and more meaningful out there if you keep moving and pushing yourself to exhaustion. These ideas lead Sal and Dean into doing some really strange things such as getting married and divorced several times, skimping out when responsibilities become stable, and pretty much doing what ever they feel like doing in the moment.

That's another thing. In the beginning, I was really into some of their shenanigans. They party, drink, gent into trouble, and it's pretty entertaining. But then one thing leads to another, and you start to get sick of some of the characters. *cough* DEAN *cough* They just start doing terrible things (at least by my standards), and you start to get angry. I found that I couldn't get into their quest, and the entire journey left me feeling almost aggressive. When anything troubling did happen to them, I felt almost vindicated.\

So even though I found pieces of the novel enjoyable, I'm giving the book three divorce papers out fo five. That's about as many that were used in this novel anyway.

That's it for this post! Comment down below with some books that left you confused/angry. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ Button off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for up to date information on the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog, which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018