Divergent by Veronica Roth: Book Review!



Hello again! I'm back with another book review. If you haven't guessed yet, my new year's resolution is to do more posts, which is why this is the second one in one day. I've heard a lot of hype for the Divergent Series from its popularity as a young adult dystopian novel series and that the first one is about to be turned into a movie. I wanted to give this book a shot and I'm glad I did. So let's get to the actual review!

Divergent is a dystopian novel about a girl named Beatrice "Tris" Prior who lives in Chicago in the future. In this dystopian world, each sixteen year old has to decide which faction they belong in. There is Candor for the honest, Amity for the kind, Erudite for the intelligent, Abnegation for the selfless, and Dauntless for the brave. The choice between staying with her family and doing what she feels is right is tough for Tris, especially when she finds out that she is Divergent: someone who does not fit into one singular faction. This paints a target on her back. The story tells of the results of her choice and how her divergence effects not only herself, but the entire system that holds this world together.

This is a really interesting concept to take on in a young adult novel. To us, the world is clearly dystopian, but Tris does not really see it in that manner. She is only concerned with trying to find her place within a faction, not completely change the system. She is our reluctant hero that pushes the story forward, which makes her interesting and frustrating. I do happen to like her. She's strong and constantly puts herself in danger for other people. Then again, she is always calling attention to herself that clearly screams, "I'm Divergent! Come and get me!" It frustrates me, but I think that really rounds out her character and makes her interesting.

I also like Four. I think that he is a really cool dude with a toughness that is trying to hide vulnerability. It doesn't hurt that I've seen the trailer and find him quite attractive. But I'll talk more about the movie once I've seen it. He makes some really interesting choices as well. I will probably read the spin-off books that are written in his point of view just to get the full picture and see what's going on in his head. From his name to where he comes from to how he treats people makes him really interesting. I can't wait to read more about him.

Lastly I want to talk about the world itself. The idea of being factionless is a really big deal for Tris, and at the beginning I didn't think that getting into a faction would be that big of a deal. Then I read the initiation process, and my mind was blown. There are so many people who become factionless that it's almost ridiculous. I mean, Abnegation is pretty easy, but Dauntless only allows ten people to join, which I find crazy. I'm also impressed with the technological advancements. Some of the stuff that Erudite comes up with gets a little syfy-y, and yet everyone still travels by car, bus, and train. I just found that a little confusing.

All together, I have to give this four and a half Dauntless symbols out of five because I literally did not want to put it down.

This book left me with a craving to know more about this world and the people in it. I told myself that I wouldn't read this book until I wrote the review for Clockwork Princess, which did not happen. I couldn't put the book down. When I had to, I was haunted by it. Totally worth a read, but make sure you do so before the movie comes out!

Comment down below about this dystopian novel or other ones that you've read the past year. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address down below. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. If you want instant info about the blog or ridiculousness about my life, follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018