The Rise of David Levinsky by Abraham Cahan: Book Review (School Edition)!



Hello, everyone! Two posts in one day, things are getting crazy. And in the middle of the week, too! Hopefully I can stay on this ball until midterms are over. I know that week of my life I will want to crawl into a cave and wither away, but I'm trying to keep up with the blog posts. College has been trying to take away all of my time, but I promise I'll make time for y'all. So without further ado, let's start the review.

The Rise of David Levinsky by Abraham Cahan was actually written to be sort of a response to The Rise of Silas Lapham. It has the same concept of making it in America, but this time the main character is a Jewish immigrant from Russia. I really like the style of the writing compared to the other one. It flows better, and I don't find myself getting a headache from just one chapter of complete nonsense on paint. On the downside, I hate the main character. I've never wanted a main character to die alone, unhappy, and penniless before reading this book. So instead of getting a headache, I just got really angry. I guess if literature is supposed to evoke an emotion, then this one succeeds. Since I like writing style and I can tolerate Mr. Levinsky, I'll give this book three and a half stylish coats out of five. No sparknotes required.


So that's it for now. I hope that y'all have gotten something out of this review. Maybe y'all will read it in class, or you'll avoid it for the rest of your lives. Let me know with some comments down below. You can stay plugged in by adding your email address down below for regular updates. You can add me to your circle on Google+ over to the right. You can get ridiculous tweets from me about books, cosplay, and mostly food @KK_Donna_Blog. I love y'all, and I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018