We Should Hang Out Sometime by Josh Sundquist: Book Review!


Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review the Booksplosion book of the month: We Should Hang Out Sometime by Josh Sundquist. This book is a set of short stories showing the many failed relationships of Josh Sundquist. He tries to go through each relationship scientifically in order to answer a very important question: Why has he never had a girlfriend? But enough about that. Let's get onto the review!

Let's start out with our narrator/author. He's not your traditional cool guy, which makes sense now that I think about it, considering he's never had a real girlfriend. He's awkward and clever, and he's really quite funny when he's not stressing about whether or not Liza Taylor is really into him. When he was just going with the flow, he was a good guy who went on to do some really cool things yet experience some really socially awkward situations. Still, if I met him at a bar, I would have thought he was really cool.

The way that he told his stories were really interesting. In the book, he explains how he is too much into math and science, and you can really tell when he takes an analytic approach to each of his relationships, complete with graphs both informative and hysterical. He supplies background of each relationship (or the story portion, if you will). Then he states his hypothesis, which is then tested by him talking to the girl in question way after the fact. It's such a novel idea, and I can say that him going back and getting the real scoop of his failed relationships was perhaps my favorite part of the book.

Each relationship was different, and each of them have their highs and lows. As it is with anything with multiples, you're going to have your favorites. I won't give into any specific details, but I will say that I can completely identify with many of the situations he faced and, unfortunately, how he reacted. I'm sure at least one of the back stories will make you feel the same.

I was ready to give this book a five out of five on just the fact that it's not like anything I've ever read before and because it was executed extremely well, but I have to dock it a few points for two reasons.

One, there is one story in the book where Josh and "the subject" hardly interacted. Thus, he filled the section with experiences with three other girls (this sounds like an impressive amount of women, but don't be fooled). One such girl that he mentioned, I felt could have gotten her own section. She was Crazy. Yes, that is with a capital "C." I wanted to know more about her, and I was kind of upset that she seemed more like filler than a real person.

Two, as much as I appreciated the message, I found the ending to be a little cliche. Again, I won't spoil the book, but I felt like the message could still come across without having it spelled out for me at the end. I do appreciate the last "subject" that was mentioned. She doesn't get a lot of page time in the book, but she made the ending more memorable.

With everything said and done, I'm giving this book four prosthetic legs out of five.



That's it for this review! Comment down below on some books you thought could have had a better ending. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for ridiculousness about my life and up to date information on the blog. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018