This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner: Book Review!



Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. It's the second book of the Starbound series, and the prequel to this book is last month's Booksplosion book. This book introduces Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac, two people on different sides of the war on Avon, a planet that hasn't been able to terraform into a more habitable planet. But enough about that. Let's get onto the review!

The first thing I have to mention is the lack of Lilac and Tarver in this book. They first appear about halfway through the book and quickly disappear, which is a bit upsetting considering how much I fell in love with them in the first book. I was looking forward to seeing them a bit more, but I will admit that the one scene where they are doing some long distance communicating is hysterical.

I have to say that despite the fact that I wanted Lilac and Tarver in the book a bit more, I am happy that this book stuck to the two switching point of view story-mode that was enabled in the first book. I was concerned it would turn into something more like The Lunar Chronicles, but was happily surprised with the format.

Let's get to our main characters. I love Jubilee "Lee" Chase. I don't know any other way to say this. She is a bad ass, in the best of sense. She comes across as a tough soldier who is untouchable and has no soul, but you can tell when she talks about how much she cares for the people she trains and leads. She's able to make tough decisions, but she can break. To me, she really breaks the mold for female characters.

Then there's Flynn Cormac. He's the yin to Jubille's yang. He's a dreamer, a bit naive, but he is still able to be a leader. He has a way of convincing his people, and goes to extreme lengths in order to protect them. He hopes when there is no hope. He dreams of peace on a planet that has no nothing of war. He just brings a breath of fresh air in the book.

Something that I felt like was an improvement was the fact that there were other characters in the novel. They were able to interact with more than just each other, which meant that there was more action in the story. There was also a chance to connect with characters other than our narrators.

Another aspect I was happy about was the whispers! Their back! I won't be spoiling this book, but just know that I am so happy that they make it back, and in a different way than what I was expecting.

I will say that I suspected that the Knave, an expect hacker, that they mentioned in the story would be the center of the next book. I looked it up, and yes, the Knave will be featured in Their Fractured Light. I will say that I am intrigued, but I'll save it for the next review.

This book is a mix of Romeo and Juliet, gender role reversal, and Star Trek. It even got me choking up at the end. While this review may be a little biased, considering I tend to like sequels a little more, I'm going to four and a half cocktail swords out of five. 



That's it for this post! Comment down below on some badass female characters I should read about next. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for ridiculousness about my life and up to date information on the blog. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog, which you can find here. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018