Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger: Book Review School Edition!




Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger. This book is for my American Lit after 1945 class, and this novel tells two stories. One is of Franny and her boyfriend Lane on a disastrous date. The second is Franny having a mental breakdown and her brother Zooey trying to comfort her but still trying to keep it real. But enough about that, let's get onto the review!

Now, these stories were written in the 1950s, a post-modern society. Experimentation was big with authors, and this book is one result of such experimentation. It focuses on the idea that people are given a "script" or they assign themselves one. Then they try to emulate that script. Sometimes it comes off well. Sometimes it ends up with you ready to vomit in a fancy restaurant bathroom. In this novel, you see people who try to force themselves into their box and others who are desperately trying to stay out of the box.

I like the concept that the book is playing with. Even today, people are following scripts or throwing them out, without even realizing it. That's not saying that it is a good or bad thing. It's just something that is going to happen. Whether you see it as conforming or cherry picking attributes that you see in yourself, that's a matter of perspective.

The message of the book isn't terrible. However, I'm not here to just talk about the message. I'm here to talk about the entertainment quality of the novel. If you follow me on twitter, you may know this book by the little rant I had about it. Seriously, there's only so much I can stand, and I guy who reads a letter while smoking a cigarette while chilling in his tub for twenty pages crosses the line. Overall, there's not much that happens in the two stories. I like the first story more than I did the second one because I felt like more things happened in that story. I found myself reading the last twenty pages a few times because they couldn't hold my interest.

With all that said, I'm giving this book two and a half lit cigarette's out of five.



That's it for this post! Comment down below on books you've read that had a strong message but didn't grab your interest. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for up to date information about the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog, which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018