Fifty Shades of Grey: Movie Review!

Fifty-Gray-poster.jpg


Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review Fifty Shades of Grey, the movie. Now, there have been some negative things said about this movie, but it has also grossed $81.7 million in a mere three days. So, there is something to be said about the movie's appeal. Maybe that has something to do with the Valentine's Day movie rush or the fact that sex sells. I don't know, but I will tell you my experience and what I thought about the movie. Let's get onto the review!

So my first impression of this movie was ten minutes of silence. Literally, we had visuals, but no audio for the first ten minutes of the movie. So while the manager of the movie theater worked on fixing the problem, my friend and I commented on our lead characters. To be honest, we weren't that impressed. For one, Christian Grey, who was played by Jamie Dornan, didn't look that intimidating. He just kind of looked like he was bored or confused most of the movie. I wasn't expected a "scary Christian," but I was expecting him to have a presence. When he walks in a room, the audience should shift in their seats, and that didn't really happen.

Then there's Ana, who was played by Dakota Johnson. I don't know if was that hideous shirt she was wearing, that god awful haircut, or the fact that she had crows feet around her eyes, but she just seemed so much older than a college graduate. She's supposed to be my age, but if I saw her on the street, I would probably call her "ma'am."

Now, that was the first ten minutes. After they got the movie fixed, a couple came and sat down next to my friend and me. I was fortunate enough to have the gentleman sit down next to me, and I say that because he had the best comments throughout that movie. From "I need a room like that" to "That's not f******. That's love-making," he made the movie that much more enjoyable. He had some very specific ideas about the movie, and those thoughts may end up in this review.

Now, let's get to the good part, or really the part that everybody came to see. The sexy bits were... interesting. Okay, there was a lot of boob but not. They showed a great deal of Ana's boobs, but she didn't have a lot to show. As much as it pains me to say it, I was expecting a little more. We also got a little man butt, but it did not get the same amount of screen time as Ana. I'm a little upset by that. I can only assume that they might have done that to keep the R rating rather than the NC17 rating. But come on! This is a movie about a BDSM relationship that focuses on the sex. Why not go all out?

Along the note of their sexual encounters, my friend and I noticed that while Christian was not what we had pictured him to be, we were also quite concerned that he wasn't going to be able to tote Ana around. Every time he picked her up, we held our breath and kept thinking, "Please don't drop her!" It added a new type of suspense that I don't think the movie was going for.

I will say that not all of the casting bothered me. Two of the characters that I love in the books did make appearances in the film. Max Martini played Jason Taylor, and I was excited as soon as I saw him. I'm familiar with his silver screen history, and I couldn't wait to see him in action (so many innuendos) in this movie. There was also Marcia Gay Harden, who plays Christian's mom in the movie. I loved her on Law and Order SVU, and she's really an accomplished actress. It was exciting to see both of these actors, but then they were only onscreen for maybe five minutes! They'll have bigger roles to play in the next film, and hopefully they will be asked to come back. If they don't, I will be pitching the biggest of fits.

Another aspect that bothered me goes hand in hand with the book. The movie starts out so slow, and I think that has a lot to do with the slow pacing of the movie. The guy beside me was wondering when the action was going to happen, too. He was all for "screwing the contract," though he didn't actually knew what that meant. We were all pretty excited when that first kiss came around.

On the plus side, the movie was quite funny. Ana is a bit of a quirky character that likes to defy Christian whenever she feels the need to, and that's often. Her getting drunk at the bar was hysterical, and some of her comebacks were pretty great. It was a good way to break up the tension, and it makes the movie quite enjoyable.

They did change a few things from the books, and for the most part, I'm okay with this. There's a lot less crying, and his stalker tendencies are not as apparent. The one thing that really bothered me was Christian's confession scene. I'm not going to go into great detail as to what the confession is, but if you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. In the movie, he doesn't actually tell her while she's awake. At least, that's what it looked like. So, what's the point? You've let the audience know, kind of, but Ana doesn't get to know? That helps her know what kind of man Christian is! Ugh!

One thing I did appreciate was the ending. They did keep the same ending as the book, which I wasn't actually expecting. The audience didn't quite agree with me, especially the guy next to me. He just stared at the screen for awhile before muttering, "What the f***?" I thought it was a good way to set up for the next movie. While some people say Fifty Shades is getting a sequel, there hasn't actually been any "official news." But with the amount of money this movie has made, we're probably getting a sequel, and to be honest, I'm probably going to see it. I'm liking the second book more than the first, and I'll probably like the second movie more than the first.

I had a really good time watching this movie. If you're curious, go ahead and watch it. You'll see some interesting and risqué scenes, and you may even have a chuckle every once and a while.

That's it for this post! Comment down below on some of the scenes from Fifty Shades that you'd want to see on the big screen. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for updates on the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog, which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018