Cress by Marissa Meyer: Book Review!


Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review Cress by Marissa Meyer, the third book of the Lunar Chronicles series. This book is centered on Cress, the Rapunzel character, who is stranded on a satellite. She meets the rest of the gang, and they come together to stop the impending marriage of Emperor Kai and Queen Levana. But enough about that. Let's get onto the review!

I like to call this book "The Book Where the Characters start to Grow on Me." Granted, that is a long title, but it rings true. Two characters in particular that I've grown to like are Captain Thorne (previously known as just Captain in the last review) and Dr. Erland. The reason Thorne has started to grow on me is mostly due to Cress, who is awesome by the way. You really start to see the good in him, despite the fact that he does whatever he deems as the best for him. Cress makes him better, at least for a little while. It's still up in the air on how their relationship is going to end.

Speaking of Cress, let's focus on her for a little bit. She is incredibly smart but also incredibly naive. She pushed herself to becoming handy with hacking, but she is still able to see the good in people (*ahem* Captain). Also, despite the fact that she is a shell (someone who cannot glamour nor be glamoured), she uses lunar techniques to give herself confidence. With that, she puts herself in these stories she's created. She's the princess waiting to be rescued, which is cool considering the play on the Rapunzel myth. She made me laugh and cry. Literally, she made me cry, which I'm sure the people at Disney World thought was quite strange. The point: I love her.

Let's talk about Dr. Erland for a second. To be honest, I wasn't really into his character. I sympathized with him, but for the most part, he was just another guy in the book. I loved the moments that he got in Cress. It really showed his motivations and what kind of a person he is. To be fair, he's not the greatest of people, and he's self-aware. But he has a great scene in the book that was almost like a soliloquy, and you can bet I was cheering him on with my fist in the air.

We've talked about some of the people I like. Let's talk about some that I don't like. One such person is Kai... again. It's not that I don't like Kai, it's just that he hasn't really done anything. He's like a puppet with a lazy conductor. Hopefully he'll be able to do more than just sit around and think about how much he may or may not like Cinder in the next book.

Still suspicious of Thorin. Not much else to say, but I wanted to throw it out there.

There are still so many view points! I'm not going to rant much about this considering I did it for the last two books, but I will say I am concerned. Winter is a little crazy so we'll have to see how that's going to play out, narrative-wise.

I'll also briefly mention Winter (the book, not the character). I'll be waiting until November for it to come out, but I'll get my hands on Fairest as soon as possible. I wonder what fairy tale Winter will play off of. So many things to wonder for the next few months!

With all of this in mind, and the fact that this book made me both laugh and cry, I'm going to give this book four and a half eye drop bottles out of five!


Well that's all for this post! Comment down below on what you think Winter's fairy tale will be. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscription Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for up to date information about the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog, which you can find here. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018