Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James: Book Review!


Hello, everyone! I'm back and I'm here to review Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James, the second book of the Fifty Shades Trilogy. It continues Christian and Ana's turbulent relationship, beginning with their temporary hiatus. From there, the dynamic duo faces overbearing bosses, stalker ex-subs, and relationship drama. But enough about that. Let's get onto the review!

The first thing I have to mention is that the pacing has changed dramatically from the first book. There are a lot more things going on other than their relationship that help move the plot foreword. There's something other than Anastasia's and Christian's relationship that made me want to read more.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy their relationship, including all of its ups and downs. We get more back story on Christian, and we get to see a few of his exes, which is pretty telling. We get to see a glimpse of his life pre-Ana, and it's kind of scary.

We also see a lot of Mrs. Robertson (not her actual name, but I prefer it to her actual name). I like her character. Not what she did, of course, but she adds more tension to the story. She's also the closest thing Christian has to a friend, much to Ana's chagrin. I was also a little surprised to see what Mrs. Robertson's motives were. She does seem to care for Christian, but in her weird creepy older lady kind of way.

There is also a scene in the book that I found really compelling. I don't want to get in specifics because I hate spoilers, but let's just say we see a whole new type of Christian that I wasn't expecting to see. I find myself re-reading that part just to get the full effect. It really changed the way that I viewed Christian.

One thing that bothered me was how quickly everything was happening, especially the break-up. I won't consider this a spoiler considering the ending of the first book get rectified in the first chapter of the second book, and the second book begins three days after the first book. I appreciated how Ana dealt with her relationship in the last book, and part of me felt like how quick is what rectified negated the importance of it. The breakup does get brought up again throughout the novel, and that does ease my conscious but only by a little bit.

There's also a scene at the end of novel that I found unnecessary. There are hints in the book that there is something bigger at play, and the last scene just throws that in our face, not to mention the completely unnecessary P.O.V. change. I like to figure things out for myself, and the scene took all of that away from me.

With everything that's said and done, I still find myself going back and reading some of my favorite scenes. Sure, it has it's faults, but I think it may be my favorite of the series. It may have to do with with that satisfying ending, but I'll leave that up to y'all. Keeping all of that in mind, I'm going to give this book four masquerade masks out of five.



That's it for this post! Comment down below on some of your favorite satisfying endings. Also, is everyone else taking the things I'm saying as innuendos? It's not intentional. I promise! Subscribe to the blog by adding your email to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button that's off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for updates on the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog, which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018