Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas: Book Review!


Hello, everyone! I'm back and I'm here to review Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass! I have to say, I was the gal who took the title metaphorically, and I was pleasantly surprised after I read the book. This story is about a female assassin who is forced into a competition to be the king's champion. If she wins, she gets to serve a power hungry king who could kill her any second, and if she looses, she will go back to prison and work in the mines, beaten everyday. Oh, and then there's her two love interests, but who cares about that when there's magic involved!? Enough about that, let's get onto the review!

Let's talk about point of view for a second. There are a few point of views, but I will say that making this book in close third person point of view made it so much easier to read. There was also something I could get from each point of view that weaved into the overall story. It also gave me a break from Celaena, which as much as I love her, she could get a bit gruesome at some times.

Which brings us to the discussion of our main character Celaena. She's both familiar yet completely strange to me. On one level, I can really connect with her. She sleeps until one, loves books, and loves dogs. On the other hand, she's prone to violence, finds most women to be hateful witches, and tries to kill anyone who degrades her. She's a book lover... who kills! Still, I think she's going to be interesting to follow just for the character growth alone.

I was a little bummed with the love triangle aspect of the story. When I realized what was going on, I was concerned. I've seen it before and experienced it before, at least in the literary world. But then I see it through Celaena's eyes. To say that she doesn't have feelings for the both of them would be wrong, but she also does her best to think about things logically. She's not just about the boys, she's about her freedom, which is something to be desired in a YA heroine.

If anything, the boys are the ones that are lovesick in this book. Chaol and Dorian remind me of Dimitri and Adrian of the Vampire Academy series, respectively. You've got your tough guy who won't let anyone close to him but somehow this one girl is able to worm her way in despite the odds. Then you've got your sensitive guy who loves books and dazzling women but hates that his father is a tyrant and hates politics and does what to do right by his people. She's got some good choices, that's all I'm saying.

Now we need to talk about the princess. Nehemia Ytger is a bit of a mystery, but I have to say that I liked her almost immediately. She's like the less blunt version of Celaena. She doesn't mind getting her hands dirty, but she also knows that she has people counting on her. She wants to do what's right for her country, and if that means practicing magic illegally, she's going to do it.

Which brings me to my next point, let's talk about magic. Magic is like the pink elephant of the book. Everyone knows of magic's existence, but no one is allowed to use it. The king, of course, has a political reason for banning magic, but then again, if they have power, they may rise up against him. I'd be careful about that if I were him. I cannot wait to see more magic and how it plays into Celaena's destiny in the next books.

That reminds me of one tiny problem that I had with the book, and I will say that it's completely a personal situation. Since I knew I was coming into a book that had sequels, I pretty much knew what the ending of the competition was going to be. But I will say that the journey to get to the end, was fantastic. I can't wait to read the other books. But for now, I have to get to work on some school books.

All in all, I'm giving this four wooden staffs out of five!



That's it for this review! Comment down below on some love triangles you found different from the rest. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for ridiculousness about my life and up to date information on the blog. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018