Shadowhunters Episode 5: "Moo Shu to Go" - Review!


Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review the fifth episode of Shadowhunters, "Moo Shu to Go." While trying to scope out some clues on her mother's hidden past, Clary and Simon get kidnapped for the illusive Mortal Cup. No thanks to Alec. Meanwhile, Jace and Isabelle try to discover what happened to the Seelie scouts after Maryse Lightwood, mother to Alec and Isabelle, shows up unannounced to the Institute. Now, we are getting into spoiler territory, and if you haven't seen the episode yet, turn back now! Otherwise, let's get onto the review! 

So here's the episode were the werewolves finally make an appearance. No hiding behind dumpsters and coming out bloody for no apparent reason. Just full-on werewolf action. We learn that there is a pack in Brooklyn, and, guess what, they want the Mortal Cup just like everyone else. That part doesn't really bother me considering we've now established that the Cup is basically a McGuffin for the season. I had some logistic problems with the transformations. The show has made a big deal about hiding the transformation, even if we've already seen the wolves, which is what I thought would be the big reveal. I mean, a wolf walks into a restaurant all nonchalant through a doggy door, but don't even get me started on that), but they have to transform in the back? It just seems weird considering they look normal when they change back. They're not missing clothes or anything. So what would be the reason to hide, except maybe to cut costs on the CGI effects. 

We also see Simon with enhanced physical skills, to the point where maybe someone should be concerned. Maybe if he was just jumping a little higher or running a little faster, the other characters could assume that he's been pumping some iron. Maybe trying to bulk up so that he won't be repeatedly kidnapped. But he breaks open a door without any effort at all. At that point, everyone should have been a little more concerned. Forget the memento box, Simon is crushing doorknobs with his bare hands. Maybe we should check him out. No? Box is more important? Okay, then. On the plus side, still hilarious and fun to watch. He's one of the better characters on the show, as I've said before, and he doesn't disappoint. 

So, Maryse Lightwood is pretty terrible, as a mother anyway. The amount of blatant favoritism was nauseating. I'm all for showing the disconnect between the Lightwood's, but I don't think Maryse needs to be openly grinning Cheshire-style while Jace is swinging his seraph blade around.

Wow, that amount of double entendre is inexcusable... But I'm keeping it. 

There was just no subtly to it, and I feel like that the producers think that the audience is stupid...again. This has become a common complaint with this show, and I'm just hoping that if they do get a second season, they'll treat us like an audience that cares enough to pay attention and think.

On the other hand, there were a few moments enjoyment in the episode. I know a lot of people have been saying it, but I have to agree that the chemistry between Clary and Jace isn't working so far. They just seem to be these weird two people who hover around each other making inappropriate comments because they don't know each other that well. With that said, the dynamic between Clary and Alec is hilarious. Maybe it's because Alec is 100% done with all of the tomfoolery that Alec is starting to feel like the substitute for the audience (or at least me) in the show. Between that and Clary determination to underhand him, it makes up for some of the other less fortunate points of the show. The way that they bounce off of one another is just so real and organic, and I'm hoping to see a lot more of it. 

I really enjoyed Luke in this episode. Maybe it's because he's more than just an ominous figure now, but I'm liking his attitude. The snarky exchange that happens between him and Clary when he gets her out of the cargo container was beautiful and so funny. I'm guessing we're going to be seeing some more of him in the next episode at casa de la Magnus, which I'm also excited to see. 

Guys, I think that I'm actually looking forward to the next episode! Let's hope it's a step in the right direction! I'll be sure to watch and review it as soon as possible!

That's it for this post! Comment down below with your thoughts on the episode. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ Button on you right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for up to date information on the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018