Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon: Book Review

Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I'm here to review Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon. This book follows the story of two best friends: Veronica and Mackeena. Veronica is ready to escape her drunk mother and cheating ex-boyfriend for a new exciting vacation in Scotland with her best friend. But her best friend Mackeena is worried that the man in a kilt that her friends keeps seeing is just a way for Veronica to escape reality. But what is really happening? Enough about that. Let's get onto the review!

So this is another novel with two first point of view narratives. I was pleasantly surprised that instead of seeing the novel from the two romantic leads, it was point of view for each of the best friends. I thought it was interesting while I was reading because Veronica calls Mackeena the other half of her brain. Veronica likes books. Mackeena likes plays. Veronica is analytical while Mackeena is more emotional, at least under normal circumstances. Their adventures in Doon have them taking the opposite roles, which sets them a little off balance.

I have to talk about the setting. I like Scotland, and having been there last summer, I could imagine the places the narrators were mentioning quite clearly. I also have to mention Doon, itself. It still has an old-world vibe, but Doon is constantly getting improvements from our universe with everything from indoor plumbing to pizza. It's something that I didn't expect, and I felt like it sets the setting apart from other stories that have alternate worlds. I'm also wondering how the ending of Doon will effect the setting for the next book. Don't worry, no spoilers!

I really enjoyed all of the characters in this book. They all had their ups and downs, their sassy and angst-ridden moments, and I think each of them evolved from the beginning of the book. I will say that some of them can be placed easily into what some people would call "YA tropes." But I think the book does a good job of addressing that. There is one point of the novel that I found hilarious that addresses what I am talking about. One of the characters describes another character as being too much like a certain famous YA literary character. I won't say who, but I will say that I completely agree, and I'm glad that the book brought this up in this manner.

I like the fantasy elements that are in the story. I think that it is a good introduction into the Doon world and what magic means to them. There is a difference between witches and those who have powers that they use for good. Those who are good are in line with "the Protector" which is there version of a god. Witches seem to use dark magic and are considered evil and are cursed by the Protector. I'm hoping we get some more information of that part of their history in the next novel.

All together I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. With everything said and done, I'm giving this book four and a half leather journals out of five.



That's all for this post! Comment down below on some books that helped you out of a reading slump. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email address to the Subscribe Box down below. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. Follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog for up to date information on the blog and ridiculousness about my life. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog, which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies. I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018