Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons: Book Review (School Edition)!



I'm back with another book review! This time I'm reviewing Watchmen by writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons. This happens to be one of my school books. This one in particular is from my Children's Lit class. Now we did talk about how this book isn't tended toward children, but was quite popular with high school students, and I can see why. But enough about that, let's get on with the review!

Watchmen is a graphic novel created by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. It tells the story of of a group of masked avengers in a time when being a super hero ends up with humiliation at best and jailed at worst. However, these once masked superheros are being killed off. So Rorschach, Nite Owl, Silk Spectre, Ozymandias, and Doctor Manhattan have to try to stop the murder while delving into a conspiracy that is so much bigger than just five costume superheros.

Watchmen is interesting in that these aren't the regular superheros we've come to love. Besides Doctor Manhattan, they do not have any particular super powers, they are hated by society, and, for the most part, have given up on being superheros. They are flawed, which makes them so human and relatable. Unlike Superman or Spiderman, these are people who are not necessarily entirely good, and that is what makes this story so great.

Graphic novels are not so new to me. I've been reading them since I got an allowance and could make it to a Books-a-Million to spend my hard earned cash. However, I know that some of you may be new to the scene. So let me break it down. Graphic novels are depicted in pictures and panels rather than words and sentences. It has a different experience than reading a traditional novel, but I found that the difference was quite enjoyable.

There is great character development in this book. You get a back story for all of the main characters, and each one is different yet connected to each other. I really felt for these characters. I was happy, sad, surprised, and book by what each of these characters go through. I was able to see what shaped these characters into who they were. It just made the story that much more compelling.

Now, this novel is a bit episodic, which makes sense considering Watchmen was first a comic series that had twelve issues and then brought together to make the whole graphic novel. It makes it easy to extend the reading process, but I read it all in one sitting. Readers can easily do it either way.

All together, I have to give this book a solid four out of five inkblot tests. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in dipping there toe into the world of comics with an adult feel.



That's it for this review! If you want to subscribe to the blog just add your email to the Subscribe Box down below. You can add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. You can also get up to date information about the blog and randomness about my life by following me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog. Lastly, you can follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog, and you can find it at this link. That's it for now! Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018