Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter: Book Review (School Edition)!



Be forewarned, I have seen the movie before reading this book, and I'm ashamed of that. I hate doing things in that order, but when I was little, my mother and I had an obsession with Hayley Mills. We watched all of her movies, but Pollyanna and That Darn Cat were probably our favorites. But that is neither here nor there. Also, when I read this, I was feeling overly sentimental over everything. So this children's book became a real tear-jerk-er for me. Now, Let's get to the actual review!

This book was published in 1913, and during this time novels had certain archetypes for children. In the case of Pollyanna, the character Pollyanna would definitely be considered the angelic child. It's exactly what it sounds like. She is a good girl who only sees the good in people, and even when she does something bad, it ends up being a positive situation for all of those involved. Now, that may seem like a one-note book, but I actually really enjoyed reading it.

This book was really popular when it was first published. It was so popular in fact that "Glad Game" clubs began popping up all over the country, one of which is still in practice today. The "Glad Game" is a major part of the book. It's how Pollyanna finds joy even when no one else possibly could. It made me feel like, I could do that too! It made me happy, and when this was published, a little happiness could make the world of difference.

As you know, I will not be spoiling the book. I don't play that game, but the ending will break your heart and mend it back together. The book is a lot like those faith in humanity meme's that pop up on tumblr every once in a while. With that in mind, I give this four and a half pairs of crutches out of five (so, really nine out of ten crutches). This book is an easy and lovely read. No Spark Notes required!


Thanks for reading! If you want to be notified about new posts, subscribe with your email down below. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. You can also follow me on twitter for up-to-date stuff @KK_Donna_Blog. I'm so glad to be posting again. I've missed all of you! Hopefully, I'll have another review up soon, and I have some cosplay projects I want to share with y'all. I love all of y'all! I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018