Scarlet by Marissa Meyer: Book Review!


Hello, everyone! I'm back with another book review. This time I'm reviewing Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. It is the second book of the Lunar Chronicles, and it's a science fiction take of the Little Red Ridding Hood fairy tale while also continuing Cinder's story from the first book. Scarlet is searching for her grandmother and meets Wolf, a street fighter on a mission. Together they uncover secrets that is much bigger than either of them realized. But enough about that. Let's get onto the review!

I will say at going into this book, I wasn't expecting to see Cinder, Kai, or anyone else's point of view that was established in the first book, but they do come back, whether I like it or not. I said this last time, but multiple point of views kind of bother me. A few I can handle, but with the addition to the new characters of Scarlet, I'm finding myself more and more irritated. I also start to enjoy some of them more than others, like I said in the review for Cinder. I prefer Scarlet in the set of new point of views, and I still can't stand Kai's point of view. He just sits around and thinks about things a lot of the time. It's just the least exciting viewpoint in the book.

I did really enjoy all of the characters introduced in this book. Scarlet is a no-nonsense family-oriented country girl that's willing to lay down everything for her grandmother. You can see how she was a troubled youth, but living with her grandmother gave her a new lease on life. The love each other so deeply, and that love is expressed so well in the book. Maybe it's because Little Red has always been one of my favorite fairy tale characters, but I really find Scarlet amazing.

Since I've covered Little Red, I guess it's Wolf's turn. At first, I couldn't help but imagining him as a little puppy. He's curious about everything, and makes no effort to hide it. He get's excited over everything he learns. He's quite kind when he wants to be, but underneath that is a man who grew up fighting. He's trained to kill, and at the beginning of the novel, I thought I knew who he was. I changed my mind mid-novel, but then the story revealed his true nature. He's a whirlwind of emotion, and I can't wait to see his character development in the later books.

Oh Captain, my Captain. The Captain (and I capitalize it here because this will be how I address Captain Thorne from now on) is a bit of a cad. I detested him with every fiber of my being in the beginning of this novel. Still, he did actually start to grow on me, especially when he interacts with - wait for it - Iko! Yes, Iko's back and better than ever. Just listening these two talk to each other had me laughing out loud and willing to keep the Captain on our team of heroes.

I love Cinder's mission in this book. It makes a lot of sense for her character, and gives her a chance for a lot of development throughout the series. She doesn't do what is expected of her, but she doesn't shy away from the information that the Doc gave her in the last book. She strives ahead, despite the adversary, and I have come to appreciate that about her.

I can't talk about a book in The Lunar Chronicles without talking about the world that Ms. Meyer has created. In this book, we get out of New Bejing, and head to a small countryside in France. It was interesting to see the mix of the country and their use of technology. There are still hover ships, and coms, and screens everywhere, but there's also a vast farmland, crates of fresh produce, and diners serving questionable food. Maybe that's another reason I really enjoy this book. Everything felt familiar to me. I grew up on a farm next to my grandmother's house (totally went through the woods to visit her, but that's another story). It probably makes me a little biased on how much I enjoyed this story, but at least, I am honest!

There are so many things that I could say about this book. To how much I enjoyed the pack dynamic to how much I don't trust Thorin to how I wanted to wait in lines so that I could finish this book quicker, I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed this book and found it interesting. I guess I'll just have to wait until the next book - oh, wait - totally finished that book. Y'all will be getting that review later this week. But with everything said and done, I have to give this book four Scarlet farm-grown tomatoes out of five.

That's it for this review! Comment down below on books you've read over vacation. Subscribe to the blog by adding your email to the Subscribe Box down below or off to the right. Add me to your circles by clicking the Google+ button off to the right. Follow me on twitter for ridiculousness about my life and up to date information about the blog @KK_Donna_Blog. Follow the tumblr dedicated to the blog which you can find at this link. Read on, lovelies! I'll see y'all next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018