A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin: Book Review (School Edition)!



Hello, everyone! I'm back, and I've got another review of one of my Children's Lit novels. I know that no one really thinks that I read these books for class, but it's true! It's one of the great things about class selection in college. I finished this one awhile ago, but I've gotten my notes out, dusted them off, and I'm ready to review! So let's get started!

This novel is about a young boy named Ged (or Sparrowhawk) who discovers that he's a wizard! He then goes through his life dealing with arch foes, mythical creatures such as dragons, and an evil dark foe as he grows into adulthood. Does this sound like anything we know? I'll give you a hint. It starts with "H" and ends with "Arry Potter." Which is funny to think about considering this book was published nearly forty years before The Harry Potter series was first published. From what I learned in class, this book was a major step and inspiration for fantasy books everywhere, and I believe it. I read it and could help but think how this aspect relates to Harry Potter or this one to Doctor Who. I love that aspect about this book.

I also enjoy how this book dealt with character growth. In the beginning, I didn't like Ged. He was arrogant and made all the wrong decisions. He was a bit of a tool. Then something big changes his life, and he grows into adulthood pretty quickly. Then I start to feel for the guy. I appreciate him and his journey more. I like how he grew as a person as he grew as a wizard. It made for a better read.

The one problem I had with this novel is that everything is kind of thrown out you. You are expected to know all of the different names of places, what everything means, and what significance is has for all of the characters. It's not like Harry Potter in that you're learning about the wizarding world as Harry does. Ged knows about this world, and you are just thrown into it. It gets a little disorienting, but you can get a little help from the Earthsea Wiki, which I do recommend you do as you are reading, not as an excuse to not read it. I think that there are too many interesting things in the book for you to not read it.

So overall I have to give this book a solid three and a half otaks out of five. Read this book carefully, and don't be afraid to get a little help from the internet. It's not a one-day read, but you'll enjoy it none the less if you love fantasy books.



So thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed this, and I promise there is more to come. I'm working on getting my review for the last book of the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, and I'm halfway through reading Divergent. Things are really heating up. Please let me know what you think about fantasy novels, if you like them or not down, in the comments below. If you want to keep up to date on the blog subscribe with your email down below or add me to your circles with the Google+ button to the right. If you want ridiculousness about my life or instant updates on the blog, follow me on twitter @KK_Donna_Blog. That's it for now! I love y'all, and I'll see y'all next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stories I Ate This Month: May and June 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: February 2018

Stories I Ate This Month: March 2018